Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Academic Applications: The Americans Premieres Tonight.

For the TV-watchers among us, tonight the Fox network will debut its cold-war drama, The Americans. Please feel free to share your expert opinions about the show as the semester and season progress in tandem. (I certainly won't compel you but I'm curious what you think!)

3 comments:

  1. From Ryan Ginger:

    A very strong pilot. How does the show portray the differences in the cultures of America and the USSR during these times through the differences of opinion between the Russian parents and their American children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that in one of the flashbacks, philip throws away a picture of a woman before meeting his wife to be, Elizabeth. I think this shows that his love for his country is stronger than his love for this other woman, which seems to be a key theme throughout stories written on the cold war (we saw this in circus).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan and Lindsay, thanks for your responses. I think you both seize one of the main themes organizing our class on cold-war culture east and west, which is the way that the family and the ties that bind it--be they romantic, parental, friendly and so on--are at the front lines of the ideological struggle. I'm about to sit down to the show myself,spurred on by your astute questions and observations. But before I do I wanted to share this article about the Americans and contemporary cold war fever.

    http://www.onthemedia.org/blogs/on-the-media/2013/jan/31/warm-feelings-cold-war/

    ReplyDelete